If someone discovers mold in their homes, they do, of course, want to have it removed as soon as possible. Calling a professional company to do just that is always a good idea, but there can be lasting concerns people have about their own health and whether or not it’s safe to remain in the house. It is important to get mold removal. Should a person stay in a house with mold and what are the indications that it’s affecting their health?
There are a number of reactions that can indicate mold exposure. Remember that these are signs, but not a guarantee of harmful mold in the house. It’s always best to consult with a doctor to make sure that a person’s symptoms are being caused by mold. If one or more of these symptoms are experienced by a person, then they should visit a physician as soon as they can. Here is a list of possible signs of mold exposure:
Sneezing – This is caused by the person’s body trying to expel the spores.
Runny Nose – This is the result of a person’s sinuses becoming inflamed as a result of the mold.
Coughing and/or wheezing – This is a more concerning symptom as this could indicate that a person’s lungs are being affected.
Watery, Itchy, or Red Eyes –This symptom indicates irritation of the eyes from airborne mold spores.
Skin Irritation or Rashes – This would indicate the possible presence of a mold that is affecting the skin.
Asthma Attacks – For people who suffer from asthma, an unexplained attack could indicate the presence of mold, especially if they seem to be occurring only within that home.
Headaches – This is also a possible symptom of mold exposure affecting the system.
Difficulty exercising – This is the direct result of shortness of breath, meaning that mold spores may be affecting the lungs.
Snoring – Now, many people snore, so this is not an indicator by itself. The only time that this should be an issue is if people who usually don’t snore start snoring for no apparent reason.
If these symptoms are experienced, then it’s important to visit a doctor right away to determine if mold is the cause.
Mold has several long-term effects on a person’s health. Those with asthma can have their asthma attacks increase in number and worsen. People who previously didn’t have asthma can end up developing it after mold exposure. Mold exposure can result in chronic sinus infections and chronic sore throat. Some can even develop respiratory problems like bronchitis.
Other long term effects include bleeding of the lungs, depression, chronic fatigue, and difficulty with memory.
If these symptoms are experienced and it is discovered that the cause is mold by a doctor, then get treatment as soon as possible. It’s also advisable to seek alternate lodgings in the short term. Above all, call in a professional team to examine the person’s home and eliminate the mold problem. If this isn’t done then the mold will continue to cause health problems and blunt any treatment the person is receiving.