Damage caused by a lack of waterproof materials on a building can become costly, and depending upon the severity of the issue, can pose a very real threat to health and safety, too. With this in mind, it’s imperative that the roof of a property is made waterproof, and that foundation waterproofing is carried out by a professional company such as the waterproof lab.
Read on to know more about waterproofing your property and preventing costly and dangerous leaks:
What is a waterproof membrane for a roof?
Laid onto a surface such as a roof to prevent water leaks or damage, a waterproof membrane is a layer of water-tight material that is either adhered or installed. Whether it’s used for flat roof waterproofing or foundation waterproofing, it’s a measure that can save you hundreds, if not thousands of rand over the life of a building.
Why is a waterproof roof and/or foundation so important?
As is unfortunately often the case, waterproofing is left out of the entire construction process, or is carried out in such an inferior manner that many commercial and residential buildings are badly affected by water damage every year. In fact, a lack of adequate waterproof treatments and procedures make up a whopping 80% of a building’s defects; if this doesn’t demonstrate the importance of making foundations and roofs waterproof, nothing does.
Flat roof waterproofing is especially important, as without adequate drainage, they are often the most susceptible to leaks and water damage. Ponding on a roof can speed up the degradation of any waterproof materials already in use, and can compromise the integrity and insulation of the ceiling.
Making your roofs waterproof:
Having your roof repaired or completely remodeled when water damage occurs can be costly, whereas applying a waterproof membrane for the roof is much more cost-effective and improves the overall water drainage of the roof. Below are just some of the many benefits of making your roof waterproof:
- Your roof and the entire building, is protected from leaks and water damage – when not addressed promptly, a leak can damage furniture and carpeting, and even result in staining and structural problems.
- A waterproof roof is much safer – inadequate or absent waterproofing can make a building unsafe to inhabit.
- The structure of the building is strengthened – waterproof membranes for a roof can help to extend the longevity of a building by limiting any moisture that might cause rust, rotting and corrosion, structural defects and contents damage.
- Mould protection – mould is unsightly, harmful to our health and tricky to eliminate; waterproof installations can help prevent this.
- Lowers the cost of roof maintenance and boosts property value – when you work with a professional waterproofing contractor such as waterproof lab, your property will be protected for longer, and the need for frequent maintenance is greatly reduced. Also, if you sell the property, you can advertise it at a higher price; a roof that has suffered significant damage from a leak, will automatically drive the selling price down.
If you’re ready to get a waterproof membrane for roof professionally installed, be sure to call the waterproof lab, who will schedule a roof inspection at your earliest convenience.